Apple has officially released WatchOS 5 with the update to the latest version of the Operating System for the Apple Watch now available. Users can check for the update in the Watch app on your iPhone by going to General>Software Update in the app. Given that it has just been released, it could take a few minutes before it shows up for everyone.
The latest version of WatchOS is bringing a lot of new features and functionality. It is available for Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watches with the new Series 4 shipping with it later this week.
Some of those new features of WatchOS 5 include:
- Automatic workout detection that can start recording your workout for you
- Activity competitions between you & friends that you follow in the Watch app
- New Yoga and Hiking workouts
- Pace alerts for runners and cadence
- New Podcast companion app
- Walkie-talkie feature to easily communicate with friends and family
- Improvements to Siri such as raise to speak, an improved Siri watch face, and 3rd party app integrations.
- Improved notifications
- Student ID cards
This is a big update and one that, I suspect, is going to make the Apple Watch feel all-the-more complete as a product – and it is pretty complete now!